Wednesday, October 14, 2009

More milestones!

I have now had a run in the double digits! This past Saturday, I ran 10.5 miles with my "Sole Survivors" running group. This is the new group I was placed in after running my second Magic Mile at 8:40.

We started our run at 6 a.m. along the St. Johns River near San Marco. I was happy to have lots of people to talk to during this long run! Not only was Lee there, but her fiance Mark was in town so he joined us as well. Jonathan was also there.

I'm also trying to get to know everyone in the group. Jonathan introduced me to a friend of his, Melissa. She's very energetic and helped me get through the end of the run when I was dragging. We're hoping to plan an after-training trip to the movies on one upcoming Saturday!

Lee is planning on moving to the next group, "Superheroes in Training," which is slightly faster than ours. She wants me to also, but I'm not sure. We do have another Magic Mile coming up, so perhaps my time will improve slightly to put me in that group anyway! But I am tempted to be a part of their group for Halloween because they are wearing pink capes....

I've also joined another group for runs during the week, "Bridge Buddies." Lee invited me to join them. I believe they are all training for the marathon. They run the bridges downtown on Mondays and Wednesdays. When I joined them for the first time Monday, they were a little fast for me but Lee held back with me so I wasn't alone. Training with them should be good for me...and be less boring than running alone!

This Saturday, I am running in my first official timed race, the 5K Race for the Cure. I'm very excited! I'll keep everyone posted on how I do!

No comments: