Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Impersonal Side of the Internet

I love the Internet. I love emails. I love blogging. I love Facebook and Twitter.

I have family and friends all over the country, so I love the Internet's ability to connect with me them instantaneously.

But one way I don't like using the Internet is to apply for jobs. I don't mind looking for jobs online. That's convenient. I don't mind emailing my resume and cover letter to someone.

The part I don't like is online applications. Most of the time, companies don't provide a contact name during this process. So I send my application off into cyberspace, but there's no way to follow-up!

However, my networking has paid off with some job opportunities, so I have that working for me!

Besides the job search, I also got the chance to freelance for First Coast News today. Helen Garrard in promotions has been tasked with producing infomercials for the station's Biggest Loser competition. The news department is strapped so they called me in to help her with some of the ins and outs of producing. She already had a pretty good handle on it before I got there so I know she's going to be fine!

Speaking of The Biggest Loser, the premiere is tonight on NBC! George and I are psyched to watch it. But first I'm making tacos for dinner!

No comments: